All of Me

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Child birth in your life and around the world

For this assignment, I chose to write about the birth of my second child. The reason I chose the second birth is because my labor went relatively quick. That did not mean it was even less painful. But, by the second birth I could understand more the reason for contractions and how they ease the baby down the birth canal. It is a really interesting process when I look back on it. Also, because I was not medicated so heavily like my first child due to quick labor, I was able to actively participate in the pushing process which gave me a sense of accomplishment. With the first birth, I had an epidural and my legs felt like jello and my lower half was numb for the most part, a bittersweet moment. It was good because there was little to no pain, but bad because I could not feel anything. My perspective on birth is that the child is no longer dependent on the mother's body for nourishment, however the baby is still dependent on the parents for its basic needs, but after birth the baby is becoming more self-sufficient day by day.

Birthing experiences occur all over the world even though they may be executed differently. For instance, I lay in the hospital bed holding my legs back. But, in Cuzco, Peru the women are in a vertical rather than horizontal position for birth. This is so the doctors have a better view if the head as it emerges. But, I would think you could see the head just as good with the woman laying down. This is when culture, in specific norms come into play. (Berger, 2012 p. 105).


Berger, K (2012). The developing person through childhood. (6th ed) New York, NY: Worth Publishers.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is very interesting how unique each child birth is for all involved in the procedure. I had an epidural yet had a very different experience than what is described here. I truly believe that through sharing our experiences, we help the next generation to make well informed decisions. It is through our discussions that we come to a new understanding and our knowledge evolves. Hopefully we are always moving forward in our knowledge.

    ReplyDelete