All of Me

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Passion and Motivation for Education


           Although Abigail Eliot was known for being a pioneer of the nursery school movement, she was also proud of her Unitarian faith. She comments, “Religion has always been an important part of my life –a subconscious influence, as well as a conscious directive”. As a result, she was active in her roles in the Unitarian church schools where she was a teacher and program director.

Robbins, P. (2012). Abigail Adams Eliot Nursery School Movement Pioneer.

            Retrieved from: http://www.harvardsquarelibrary.org/unitarians/eliot_a.htm

           Patty Smith Hill comments about how budget cuts could affect the youngest of learners the most. Therefore, she recommends a solution that she feels would help to curve some of these adverse effects. She comments, “Why must the youngest children suffer most and most disastrously?” Would it not be more just to all to make cuts with a fair percentage of budgets lowered all along the line from kindergarten through the elementary grades, high schools and colleges –cuts indicating evidences of an equal consideration of all that promotes growth of body, health of mind, sanity of emotional and social adjustment throughout the whole system?”

Hill, P.S. (1934). The Practical Value of Early Childhood Education: Objectives and Results of

Nursery School, Kindergarten and First Grade Education. Retrieved from http://
           
           babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=inu.30000047748383; skin=mobile#page/30/mode/lup

          In addition, the two early childhood professionals that I chose were Louise Derman
Sparks and Raymond Hernandez.

          Louise Derman Sparks discusses her passion for teaching , “ As I grew up I wanted to be a teacher because I believe that I had a built in passion that it was important to make real contributions in the world and  to fix the injustices in the world and I wanted to do that through teaching.”

          Raymond Hernandez speaks about his passion for his efforts in the early childhood education field. He states, “A lot of my passion comes from the intrinsic motivation for the work that I do. Every day I go to work I look forward to it because I know that the services I provide it is for their benefit. 

        “I started off my career training educators to be more effective. But, I wanted to do more that is the reason why I became an administrator because I knew that I could have a greater impact. I wanted to see how to develop programs that would benefit not only the  children, but their families.”

Course Media: "The Passion for Early Childhood"
       Five early childhood professionals share passion, motivation, and commitment to the early
 
      childhood field.

2 comments:

  1. LaDawn, I love the quote you found for Abigail Eliot regarding religion because I am a very religious individual myself and totally rely on that to guide me, not only in my carreer, but in my life in general. I came across that quote as well in my research, what an extraordingary woman. By the way, I love the way you've set up your blog. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet. Your comment is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete