All of Me

Friday, November 9, 2012

All about Education

One of my favorite books is:
We&#39re Going on a Bear Hunt
 
I love how engaged the children become as this book is read. They are also able to participate throughout the story by predicting what will happen next because of the repetition of words.
 
A story of a child that touches my heart is the story of Ruby Bridges. As a little girl, she perserved above racism and segregation which tried to deny her a quality education. But, what is equally inspiring to me is Ruby's teacher, Mrs. Henry. Mrs. Henry loved Ruby, despite the differences in her skin color and racial background in contrast to the vast majority of white students. She taught only one student that year, Ruby Bridges. But, Mrs. Henry's "passion" for education and love for that little girl enabled her to continue to teach as though she had a  classroom full of students. Ultimately, Ruby and Mrs. Henry became pioneers for the integration of that school the following year.
 
 
What a wonderful story that depicts a teacher's passion for education and love for all children.
 
Quotes
 
“Children need the freedom and time to play. Play is not a luxury. Play is a necessity.” Kay Redfield Jamison (professor of psychiatry)

http://www.thestrong.org/about-play/play-quotes

This quote refers to teachers. I feel that it explains how passionate I am about education.

Who dares to teach must never cease to learn.
John Cotton Dana
 
The drawing I have uploaded to my blog was drawn by my 6 year old son. He loves art and drawing like I did, as a child. However, I don't draw as much now due to time constraints. But, I was fascinated by this picture because I watched him draw it freehand from a book. As he drew, he was so engaged. Ultimately, I was happy to know that he found his passion!
 
 


According to Hagel (2009) "Passion comes from within each of us, it compels us to move outside, to engage with the word around us."

It calls us to act, inspire, influence and become leaders in our field, education.




 
 

2 comments:

  1. LaDawn- I like the quote by John Cotton Dana, I think that it's important for all teachers to continue learning throughout their careers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa,

      I just want to be knowledgable and well educated. I feel that with education and experience comes confidence.

      Delete